Why does Distrify verify embeds?In order to ensure that our redirects and shortened sharing URLs are working, we try to verify your player's embed. If the film isn't embedded on your website and someone shares the player using our sharing tools, then the people they share your film with will get redirected to your film on Distrify so they can see the trailer and purchase the film. To keep your visitors coming back to your official website, it's important that you embed the player on your website and set the full URL where it's embedded as the "Embed URL" on your film settings page.
But I've embedded my film and Distrify says it's not verified!If you think you've correctly embedded your film and submitted the full URL to the page as your "Embed URL", but our verification system still cannot verify your embed, there may be a few reasons:
We can only verify embeds that have our embed code directly in the HTML of your page. If your site is using a lot of Flash (which does not work on mobiles or tablets), then our system assumes the player will not show up on mobile devices. As such, the embed cannot be verified because the player will not be visible on all platforms.
2. We cannot verify embeds on Facebook, even if you are using our page tab app
Because Facebook page tabs are not shown on mobile devices, we do not verify embeds on Facebook. Facebook claims that half of its users are using mobile devices and since they do not show your player to these users, we do not verify Facebook embeds. You should have another website that is the main home for your player. Note: you will get much better results if you post your player in your Facebook timeline - then visitors will be able to access it even from mobiles.
3. We cannot verify embeds on masked URLs
Your player needs to be embedded in the actual HTML document that is pointed to by the address in the "Embed URL" field in your film settings. If you are "cloaking" or "masking" another host with your domain, then it is actually loading your whole site in a frame. This means any external links can only point to your home-page. Not only is this bad for SEO but we cannot maintain verification that the embed is there.
4. We cannot verify embeds if your player is in another frame
Similarly, if your embed is in a frame or in another iframe holder we cannot verify it. There is no need for multiple iframes for our embeds, but some software (like iWeb) adds an extra iframe and then puts your Distrify embed into another file. Our crawler won't see it, so we can't verify it. Instead, ask a friend who knows about HTML to make sure the iframe embed code from Distrify is in the actual page.
What can I do if Distrify cannot verify the embed?Your player will still work, but sharing with our short-URLs will send visitors back to your film page on Distrify. There are 2 advantages to making sure your embed code can be verified:
- When someone clicks in the email receipt to resume watching a rental or download, we redirect the user to your site. If the embed is not verified we show them the player on Distrify instead, so we can be sure they can access their purchase no matter what platform they are using.
- If someone uses the sharing tools in the player to share your short URL (on Facebook, Twitter, email, etc.), or uses the short URL to earn the affiliate share, we can only redirect those URLs to your website if the embed is verified. If your embed is not verified, we redirect the short URL to your player on Distrify. Again, this is so we can be sure your visitors can access your film no matter what platform they are using.